2016 Mileage Tracking Spreadsheet
I developed this spreadsheet to track my bicycling mileage for the year.
It has some neat features such as automatic computation and totaling
of weekly, monthly and cumulative miles and number of rides for the month
and year to date. Some of the
totals do not appear until their time comes, so don't worry if you enter
"future miles" to test the spreadsheet and do not see all the totals you
New for 2016: graph showing cumulative mileage for the year and your goal if you provide one.
Formula for cumulative rides in May in later months has been corrected (6/6). See
the instructions tab for details. Make sure the new version that you download does not have
the same name as the file you are using to record your mileage.
Some notes and pointers:
- It is a good idea to make a backup of copy just in case you mess up something.
- Enter your mileage for the day under the date. These are the only values you need to enter.
- Do not enter weekly, monthly, or cumulative totals since these are calculated automatically.
- If you want to compare 2016 to how you did last year and your highest year, you can enter your
2015 monthly mileage and best months ever in columns C and D.
The entries may be anywhere within the box for each month. The 2015 total will be computed
automatically. Enter your best annual total if you want to see it on the spreadsheet.
- Some of the formulas are very complicated. Do not try to change them unless you really know
what you are doing. If you mess one up, either close the spreadsheet without saving the current
file or copy the formula from the backup copy of the original blank spreadsheet. (No backup copy,
then download it again from here and make one this time, but be careful about the file names.)
- The print setup has been set to print on one page in landscape mode. This may not work well
or at all with some printers. If so, you may need to adjust the print setup, which can be done
by choosing Print Preview from the file menu and then clicking on the "Setup..." button.
- The file is in Excel 2003 format. If you
can't read the file with your spreadsheet program, let me know what program and version you have,
and I'll try to make a file that your program can read. However, some of the features may not
work, so you'll have to supply your own formulas.
- If you do not see the scroll bars or the spreadsheet does not seem to fit properly on your
screen, try the following: from the Excel Window menu, choose Arrange... If there are no other
spreadsheets open, then click OK. If there are others open, the best choice is probably Cascade.
The spreadsheet(s) should then adjust to fit in your screen.
- When you click on "Download" below, instead of asking you to save the file to your hard disk,
your browser may open up the spreadsheet and display it. In that case, choose "Save As" from the
File menu, which will enable you to write the file to your hard disk.
- If you right-click (or the Mac equivalent) on the Download link, you should see a menu that lets
you save the target of the link, the mileage spreadsheet, directly. This is an alternative to just
clicking on the link as discussed in the previous note.
- You can be "low tech" by printing out a blank copy of the spreadsheet and filling in your
miles and the totals on the printed copy. This may be the best way to go if your spreadsheet
program does not recognize some of the formulas.
COPYRIGHT AND CONDITIONS OF USE
The spreadsheet is copyrighted in 2016 by Mark D. Pankin, and he reserves all rights. You have
permission to use and distribute the file in any non-commercial (you may not charge anyone or
demand payment) manner. You must not remove or alter the copyright notice at the bottom of spreadsheet
in any copy you distribute. You may remove the notice from your own copy that you do not give to anyone
else. Commercial use with the permission of the author only.
Download Mileage Tracking Spreadsheet
To send comments or request a different type of file e-mail: bike -ATsign- pankin.com
Return to the Bicycling Page
Return to the Home Page